Radiation Protection Adviser: FAQs

Who should consult a Radiation Protection Adviser?

Radiation employers (i.e. employers working with ionising radiation) must consult a suitable RPA for advice on complying with the Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17). IRR17 specifies particular matters on which radiation employers should seek advice from a suitable RPA.

Who can be a Radiation Protection Adviser?

An individual can be appointed as an RPA if they are deemed suitable by the Radiation Employer (e.g. they have relevant experience) and
1) hold a valid certificate of competence from an organisation recognised by HSE as an Assessing Body for the certification of individual RPAs (e.g. RPA 2000); or
2) hold a National or Scottish Vocational Qualification (N/SVQ) level 4 in Radiation Protection Practice issued within the last five years.

What should Radiation Employers do when selecting an RPA?

Radiation employers need to check that the RPA selected meets the criteria of competence in the HSE Statement on radiation protection advisers and has the relevant experience to make them suitable to provide the advice needed.

What are an RPA’s responsibilities?

The role of an RPA is set out in Regulation 14(1) and Schedule 4 to the IRR17. Broadly, it is to advise an employer engaged in work with ionising radiation on compliance with IRR17 and/or REPPIR19. This includes those radiation protection matters necessary to comply with the Regulations.