Radiation Protection Advice is our core business and we can provide qualified, experienced and fully accredited Radiation Protection Advisers (RPAs). Our RPAs are accredited by the HSE approved accreditation body, RPA 2000.
Your compliance with the new Ionising Radiation Regulations 2017 (IRR17) is our paramount goal. The new regulations put in place new notification and new registration requirements for certain work and certain practices. Our RPAs can advise you on these and all other newly implemented requirements.
To summarise, Employers are required to consult an RPA for the purpose of advising to the observance of IRR17. This is mandatory where the work belongs to one of the specifications set out in Schedule 4 of IRR17 or paragraph 257 of the associated Approved Code of Practice (marked with an asterisk in the list below). The formal appointment of an RPA is not necessary, however, where the work belongs to one of the categories listed in Schedule 1 of IRR17. A brief consultation with an RPA will help determine into which category your operations will fall.
The RPA services that we provide include those listed below. If you are unsure what you require then please give us a call on 01929 401040 and let us help you decide.
- Notification of Certain Work to the Health and Safety Executive (Reg. 5);
- Registration of Certain Practices (Reg. 6);
- Consent to Carry Out Specified Practices (Reg. 7);
- *Prior Radiological Risk Assessments (Reg. 8);
- Advice on the Restriction of Exposure to Internal and External Radiation Hazards (Reg. 9);
- *Prior Examination and Acceptance of Engineering Controls, Design Features, Safety Features and Warning Devices (Reg. 9);
- *Periodic Examination of the above including any Safe Systems of Work (Regs. 14 & 20);
- Advice and Training on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including Respiratory Protective Equipment (Reg. 10);
- *Contingency Planning (Reg. 13);
- Advice on Co-operation between Employers (Reg. 16);
- *Designation of Controlled and Supervised Areas (Reg. 17, 18, 19 & 20);
- Appointment of RPSs (Reg. 18);
- Advice on the production of Local Rules (Reg. 18);
- *Advice on the Selection, Calibration and Use of Monitoring Equipment (Reg. 20);
- Designation of Classified Persons (Reg. 21);
- Arrangements for Outside Workers (Regs. 19 & 22);
- *Dose Assessment and Recording (Reg. 22);
- Advice on Medical Surveillance (Reg. 25);
- Leak testing of Sealed Sources (Reg. 28);
- Control of Radioactive Substances (Regs. 29 & 30);
- *Quality assurance programs for equipment used for Medical Exposures (Reg. 33);
- *Formal Investigations (Regs. 9, 23 26, 31 & 33).
*Asterisks indicate mandatory RPA consultations by the Employers